A game that normally garners headlines for the massive prize pool attached to its championship tournament, Defense of the Ancients 2 (Dota 2) is also a key player in the world of betting and wagering around eSports.
The role of Dota 2 in the eSports betting ecosystem
- Skin betting: Dota 2 plays a significant role in the skin betting market, making up the second largest source of volume after CS:GO.
- eSportsbook: Dota 2 is also one of the largest – and fastest-growing – titles within the eSportsbook vertical (sports betting on eSports events).
- Fantasy eSports: Dota 2 does not play a significant role in the market for fantasy eSports.
Current odds for Dota 2
Invictus Gaming VS. Mousesports
ViCi Gaming VS. Digital Chaos
Virtus Pro VS. iG Vitality
Evil Geniuses VS. Thunderbirds
Historical fixtures across selection of bookmakers
Official team sites
Defence of the Ancients – DotA – is a free to play 5v5 Multiplayer Online Battle Arena set in the same Arena of the Radiant team vs the Dire team created by Valve.
- Each player controls one of the 100+ heroes. Each hero has 4 unique abilities, some only passive and some with activatable powerups.
- Players must kill enemy creeps to acquire gold, buy items and gain experience to level up which make their hero stronger. Both teams demand certain roles to become the strongest it can be. Farm – gold and experience – isn’t plentiful, so to pick a team involving heroes which are farm hungry wouldn’t be feasible.
- Each team generally requires one support player, one farming hard carry, a durable initiator offlaner, a tempo controlling mid laner and a 5th player who can choose from jungle farmer to second support to roaming ganker.
- Each team must plan out tactics and execute strategies to take objectives – towers – to develop map control and increase the area your team can farm. This allows for more fights to be won which overpowers your enemy and break into their stronghold, destroying the Ancient and winning the game.